Most people are unaware of the fact that their sleeping position can have a considerable impact on their digestion. The first evidence of this dates back to ancient times when monks practiced a routine of lying down after each meal in order to facilitate digestion.
Another evidence for this theory relates to ayurvedic medicine, the oldest oriental medicine, suggesting that one should sleep on their left side.
Here are some of Ayurveda’s reasons for recommending the left side for sleep:
- Facilitate lymphatic drainage
- Makes it easier for the heart to pump downhill
- Better elimination
- Support healthy spleen function
- Encourages proper digestion
- Helps circulation back to the heart
- Helps bile flow more freely